Saturday, August 15, 2009

Somebody's Birthday



So my oldest son, the newlywed turned 27 on Tuesday the 11th. I wasn't sure that was possible, but sure enough, his birth certificate stands as evidence that he was indeed born in 1982 and wouldn't you know we are listed as his parents with our ages at the time. D & I can pay bills and do some pretty mean calculations in regards to tape measures or maps, but the adding machine is apparently broken when it comes to adding our ages when this child was born and his age now because the number that comes up is like nearly middle age! I still remember the hope that I felt when I found out I was pregnant with my firstborn. The excitement and thrill was quickly followed by a wave of panic wondering if I would ever really be enough to raise a child. Here's the secret...they make it inspite of us and this one makes us so proud. He was the practice child afterall, earlier curfews, smaller allowances, more responsibilities. He was a colicky mess for the first two months and I knew somehow it was my fault. But suddenly at 61 days old, his stomach settled and he gave absolute meaning to our lives and all the entertainment we needed. He taught us how to be parents and convinced us we wanted a couple more without ever knowing it. 27 years later, he is beginning his own home. A more than darling, talented, motivated, beautiful, caring wife and friends to share newly married with. A dog completes their home for now, but we know when they decide the time is right, they will be wonderful parents! So...
Birthdays use to mean, favorite meal choices and cake and presents, but according to the pictures from this years party we did all that and added in some pretty mean competitions too!






Arm wrestling & cutest couple contests! Record your votes below!

1 comment:

Kristen Plum said...

Barbie and Ken are pretty cute BUT the crazy hillbilly and the alien make it some tough competition!